Stuff Vegetarians Eat: Frito Pie
The response I get when I tell people I'm vegetarian is always the same, "Well what do you eat?!" Truth is I eat pretty much the same things any carnivore would eat, my ribs and "chicken" are just made out of soy. I hate salad, I love veggie corn dogs, and I consume an average of 3 large cheese fries from Sonic a week.
When I do feel like cooking and eating something (a little) healthier, I usually just scrounge through my cupboards and make up something fun. That's exactly what I did today. I bring you Veggie Frito Pie (no, it's not actually a pie, but it could be if you added crust, and mush just sounds gross).
|Looks pretty gross. Surprisingly delicious.|
What You Need:
- 1 large bag of Fritos (try tortilla chips for a healthier option)
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of vegetarian refried beans
- 1 can of corn
- Mexican rice (I like Uncle Ben's - quick, easy, and a good portion size)
- shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
- sour cream
- 1 taco seasoning packet
How You Do It:
- Cook rice, according to directions on box.
- Combine black beans, corn, and refried beans, and heat on stove top. Stir in taco seasoning.
- When both are done cooking, combine in a large pot or bowl. Mix.
- Place desired amount into a serving bowl. Add a handful or two of chips.
- Top off with sour cream and cheese.
This usually makes a hefty lunch for me and my boyfriend, plus leftovers. Also tastes yummy wrapped in a flour tortilla.